Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Coming Down

The last few days have been consumed by Harry Potter. I have been stealing opportunities to read, between work and sleep there have not been many. I knew others who and had already finished and last night I could not take it anymore. I wanted to know what happens and not even my own body, which was fighting for sleep, was going to stop me. I felt like an addict who would not stop until I got my fix. In the wee hours of the morning, after crying like a blubbering fool through the last fifty pages, I was done. I am drained emotionally and yes, I do realize how absurd that sounds. I have been joining various friends and coworkers in theory sessions about the outcome of the story. If you are not a Rowling fan, or you are one of the countless people who have said to me "I don't read the books, but I like the movies," you may not realize that us Potterites converge and discuss the books in an obsessive manner. People that you never pegged as Potter fans come out of the closet. Everyone has their theories. So-and-so is going to do this. I think so-and-so did that. I listen. I add my two cents. But in the end I don't really want to know what is going to happen in the next installment. I really just love the ride. First the rumors of when the book is coming out, then the date is released and we plot how we are going to get our copies. Then we finally have the chance to purchase the coveted prize and we rejoice. Holding your copy seems surreal. Then the second phase begins, reading. Suddenly you become very serious and you don't want to talk to anyone. When you are not reading you freak out if anyone near you is discussing the book because you don't want them to spoil it for you. I actually threatened to draw blood on a coworker if she told me anything. I wasn't kidding. Then you get so close to the end that you can barely sit still. The pages turn faster and you can taste the answers coming. Then, it is done. The chatter begins and the whole cycle starts over again.

Not everyone gets it and that is fine. Many, many people have laughed at my enjoyment and again, that is fine too. I know that getting this excited about a "Children's book" seems neurotic. I am not ashamed. I embrace the ridiculousness of it all. You don't get it and there is only one explanation for it, Muggles, all of you.

No comments: