Monday, August 29, 2005

One, two, three.....Red Light

I had a hair appointment last Tuesday and for the life of me I could not remember what time it was. So, I called the salon and asked them. 12:30. No problem. I leave the house with just enough time to drive into DC. I am not a very punctual person by nature, so if I make it someplace on time I consider myself lucky. For some reason I was having one of those mornings where everything was going my way. It is a bad cliche to say that I was hitting all the green lights, but I was hitting all the green lights. No joke. Green lights all up 14th street. I cruised through the National Mall on a beautiful day in peak tourist season. Unheard of. By the time I crossed over to 15th I wasn't going to let anything stop me. The traffic Gods were guiding me through about 10 street lights. I am invincible. Watch out little boy with a bucket trying to cross the street, I am not stopping for you. I made it from Constitution to U Street in 9 minutes. 9 minutes, for all you non DC people is insane. It is like making it up the SE expressway from the gas tanks to South Station in 9 minutes. Ridiculous. I then find a place to park within one block of the salon. Hello? This is lunch time, I am supposed to circle the neighborhood 6 or 7 times while continually checking the clock and cursing at myself for being late, again. I bounce into the building so proud of the fact that I am 10 minutes early for my appointment. I could have stopped for a drink or something. The receptionist takes my name. She then asks me for my last name. A little weird, but I roll with it. It is here where the last 25 minutes of bliss come crashing down. "I don't have you here." I explain that I called to make sure, talked to so-and-so, she told me 12:30, blah, blah. She continues checking the computer system. "Oh, OK I found it. You have an appointment next Tuesday at 12:30." I would really have loved to get mad at someone, but the fact is, I am a dumbass. I also would really love to say that this is the first time that something like this has happened to me, but it is so very not. The point is, tomorrow at lunch time, I am going to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic all over DC. It is inevitable. And that parking spot that was waiting for me last week, it will be laughing at me, mocking me and the new ride as we try to find a space.

I think I need a personal assistant.

No comments: