Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Where the people eat

There are so many great things happening in my life today. Not the least of which is the giant waffle cone of coffee ice cream that I am jamming down my pie hole while I type this. Seriously, some good shit is going on in my corner of the planet.

However, I really want to tell you about the greatest discovery I have made since living here. OK, second greatest discovery, nothing beats Five Guys. Today, Al's Steak House has broadened my culinary horizons. I am a very simple woman, give me some meat, some cheese and some bread and I am in food heaven. How I did not make it into Al's before today is a question I may never be able to answer. And a thought I may never forgive myself for.

I have lived in this hood for three years. People have told me about Al's, some who know my palate even demanded that I try it. The place is four blocks from my house, who knows what has taken me so long. But today was the day. We walked down and before we even opened the door I knew I was going to like the place. Above the counter, in huge letters is written "NO CELL PHONES" and judging from the look of the guy behind the counter, they weren't kidding. The decor is everything you want from a sub shop, fake wooden paneling, linoleum floors, random golf trophies, and a signed photo of Ike Turner. Bring on my lunch.

The food was all a girl can dream for. The Steak and Cheese sub was enormous, with an appropriate meat to fat ratio: not too much that you are grossed out, but just enough that it tasted oh so yummy. This place is no nonsense. They don't give you plates, you eat off the paper wrap, all sodas are served by the can, and the menu is short and sweet. It was one of those meals that was so good you could feel your arteries clogging before you got up from your table. The whole experience was like meeting up with a good friend you haven't seen in ages, and catching up on old times. Needless to say, Al's is one of my new favorite joints. Let's just see how long it takes for them to know my name like they do at Five Guys.

No comments: