Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Can’t shake the devil’s hand and say you’re only kidding

I love voting. Seriously, I love my part in the democratic process. I know there are hundreds, OK thousands, of things that I would fix about my country right now. But, the best part is that I have the right to say what I want to fix, and pick the person I want to fix them. As a society we have become very apathetic about voting. As the last two Presidential elections have shown there are serious holes in our voting system, I am not going to argue about that here. There are, we need to attain perfection, or at least have perfection as our goal. I just think we forget how important voting really is. And not just in Presidential elections either, our votes in local politics are equally, if not more important.

There were so many people who came before me that fought for my right to vote. I think of my place in the world, a woman living in an urban area on the east coast of the United States, and realize how fucking lucky I am. I was not born into the servitude of men in a country where women have just as many rights as the furniture. In this place, in this time, I am an historical anomaly. I can go where I want, I can study what I want, I can have a job, I can choose the man I want to be with, I can live with him not as a social outcast, I can own a car, the list could go on, but you get the point. I have more freedoms than women have ever had in this world. And I am thankful for that. I reap the benefits of those who came before me. And I love it.

I love voting.

4 comments:

jenny said...

Did you get the "I Voted!" sticker? I was so mad last year because my voting location didn't give them out. I always feel so proud wearing mine and seeing everyone else wear theirs. It almost doesn't even matter who they voted for - just this amazing pride in having taken part in the process.

number4of5 said...

I also love the "I Voted!" stickers and I did get one. As I was walking out of the school where I voted one of the political supporters outside thanked me for voting. He had no idea who I voted for, in fact I didn't even vote for his guy, but you are right- it is the process.

Voting is cool. You heard it here people.

allison said...

"I voted!"

number4of5 said...

Yey for voting!

I wish everyone got this excited about it.