Tuesday, January 17, 2006

You are what you read

Last week my organization was given over a thousand books by various publishing houses. The books are all specific to our field and cover almost every aspect within our field. Apparently, this happens every January and we are allowed to take what we want while the rest is donated to charity. For me, this is like winning the lottery. I, along with two other women in my office, was in charge of opening the boxes and placing the books out for people to look at. Basically, this translates to me getting to look at all the books before anyone else could get their grubby little fingers on them. If you could have seen the look on my face during all of this you would have thought that I was on crack. As I opened my own boxes and read the titles, I couldn't help but wonder what juicy gems were in everyone else's boxes. What do they have? Do I want those? Coo Coo.

By the time we were halfway through, our large conference table was drowning in crisp new hardcovers and there was a double row of books lining the outside perimeter of the room. By this point my coworkers were teasing me about how excited I was getting. They were happy about the books, but not like I was. In my harried box opening frenzy I turned to them with a glowing psychotic look in my eye and said, "Don't you just want to lay down in the middle of them all?"

Needless to say, their answers were "No" and "Oh God, Meatman has finally snapped."

So, maybe I am a little excitable. Fine, I can handle that. But they were brand new books. Brand new books that I want to read. Brand new free books that I want to read.

What more can a girl ask for?

Seriously.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I so identify with you. I once went to BookExpo and I called my Dad to tell him about my day. I said that it was like being in Heaven and Hell all at the same time. So many books to read but just not enough time to see all that the show had to offer.

I love crisp new books. You are lucky lucky!

carolyn said...

a girl could not ask for more.

sounds like heaven.

number4of5 said...

I know I am a nerd, but I am OK with it. But I am glad I am not the only one.