Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Throwing in the towel

I have made many valiant attempts to enjoy the natural "beauty" of the greater Washington D.C. area. I really have. There are some areas that I do find pretty, Great Falls being the only one that comes to mind at the moment. The beaches near here, and two and a half hours is not really near for a girl that grew up a half an hour from the ocean, suck. But that is ground that has been well covered on this blog. Last week, when I realized that the weekend was bringing with it amazing weather, I wanted to get out and enjoy it. We opted for a hike out in Harper's Ferry, WV because I kept hearing how great it is there. Given the historical significance of the area I was sold. I could go on about how I really tried to find it "amazing" and "beautiful" but I will spare you. It blew. I gave it my best shot, and kept an open mind for about an hour, until I turned to Dave and said, "you know, this really isn't that pretty."

So, I am done. There are no more attempts to make something out of nothing. Instead, I will continue to spend my time enjoying the activities that the city itself has to offer. It is easy to take all those events for granted, so I am diving at them with full force. In the last few weeks I have seen a presentation from a National Geographic photographer, an Imax movie at the Natural History Museum, a lecture from an amazing linguist, another lecture about the disarmament of the IRA at Catholic University, and a presentation from two of my favorite historians. Not a bad couple of weeks. There are many more fun events coming up, like my boys Elvis and Frankie McCourt, that will consume my time. I know I complain a lot about this area, and how it is not as good as Boston. Well, it isn't, but it still has tons of great activities to show for itself. So even if I can't find it's natural gifts, or lack there of, attractive I will exploit it's urban adventures to their full extent.

But I still wish I didn't have to get on a plane to be awed by nature.

2 comments:

allison said...

I am so with you. My family lives in Colorado, and I just take a deep breath and look as FAR as my eyes can see when I am there, and hope that it lasts me until the next time.

Luckily, I live in a city with one of the most picturesque public parks anywhere, Central Park. Just a short 3 hour ride from D.C., btw.

number4of5 said...

Colorado and Central Park, I wish I was that lucky.