Monday, April 10, 2006

It's a mad mad mad mad internet

A year and a half ago, while travelling, I was determined to find a cool pair of sunglasses. I looked, as Dave can attest to, in every shop in every city we went to. After a month of searching, I still had not found the pair that I wanted.

So, for my birthday, Dave went into a shop near our hotel in Vienna and bought me a silly pink pair of sunglasses. As you can tell from the photo, they were meant as a gag. (The hat is a separate funny story that I am not going to get into right now)


The large pink glasses became an ongoing joke between us. I think of Vienna and I think of those stupid sunglasses.

Fast-forward to today. I came across a cool site via flickr. Someone has merged google maps with the Vienna U-Bahn map, and linked photos to each metro stop. As I am clicking through the photos of key Vienna sites, I decide to check out the photos from the stop near our hotel. By some bizarre chance, I kid you not, the first photo is of rows of sunglasses in a shop near our hotel. One of them is even pink.

What are the fucking chances of that? Of all the sunglass joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine.

No comments: