Friday, May 19, 2006

Like honey to the bees

I am kind of a freak about my notebook. I carry around a pocket size lined moleskine everywhere I go. And I do mean everywhere. I take it with me when I travel, to work, to lectures and events around the city, basically anywhere I might need to write down an idea. Any idea. My notebook, or my "Black Betty", and I are tight. We are like peas and carrots. We are so tight that our relationship has spawned two more versions of the notebook that I carry around all the time, the pocket calendar for appointments, and the info book. The info book is divided into sections, like food and housing, and is designed for travelers. However, I don't use it that way. I just like the divided sections so I can keep lists, like books I want to read, or movies I need to Netflix. Basically, the important stuff. I was also delighted to learn recently that my sister carries around the unlined pocket notebook in her purse. I never knew she was this cool.

Well wasn't I the happiest little clam in the whole wide world today when I got to see the new prototype of the Moleskine city notebooks at the Book Expo America. I know that my awesomeness is oozing out of your computer as you read this. The city notebooks are a little bit thicker than the pocket notebooks, but contain all sorts of goodies for the traveler who likes to keep a journal, or take notes about their adventures. The version on display was of Paris, one of my favorite cities, so my expectations were big people, big. The first few pages were conversion charts and a fold out metro map. Then they placed multi colored maps of the city inside, which were actually quite detailed and well done. Of course there were empty pages to write on and tabs to keep track of your favorite restaurants, or food you tried. My favorite part was the translucent sheets you could place on the maps so you can write on the map, without actually writing on the map. These notebooks would never replace a guide book, but they do make sense if you want to take home a complete memoir of your trip in a single, compact form. You can also carry them around a city without them screaming to everyone around that you are a tourist. Bottom line, I want one. And then I want someone to send me back to Paris so that I can break it in. Anyone...anyone...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use my lined Moleskine as my job search notebook. It is full of pages and pages of rejection. Hence I cannot wait until I never need it again and do not have to carry it with me everywhere I go, especially Paris.

carolyn said...

i can't use the regular moleskins (TOO THICK!) but i like the skinny ones that come in little 3 packs. the city ones sound AWESOME however, i'm so jealous you got to see them. oh and i do love the ones w/ storyboard squares altho i have no reason to ever use them.