Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh, it's so funny to be seeing you after so long, Johnny

I have been avoiding watching Johnny D in a Yankees uniform like you avoid the bird flu. Every time his mug comes on Sports Center I change the channel. After I all I have been through with him, the close games, the injuries, the numerous championship series games, the World Series, voting his ass into the All Star Game, and lastly our breakup, I just couldn't look at him. I couldn't look at the face that brought me so much joy, oh so many times, knowing that it is now wearing the uniform that has given me so much pain and anguish. I just could not bring myself to do it, and last night I found out why. During the beginning of the first inning when Senor Damon entered the batters box, and half of Fenway was booing him, while the other half was cheering him, I physically could not take it any more. I cannot tell a lie, I was crying. CRYING!! I had actual human tears coming out of my eyes. Who am I? What is wrong with me? Someone needs to step away from the TV.

After beating myself up over my emotional downfall, and picking Dave up off the floor from laughing so hard, I had a moment with myself. Was this the result of the Dramamine I had taken pre-flight yesterday? Was I over tired? Or was I just two steps away from the pretty white jacket with the fancy buckles in the back? My conclusion is that I am not crazy. I was not drugged, or sleepy. I just can't help it. It might be a little over the top sometimes, but I am a god-damn-living-breathing-Red-Sox-fan who gets really into my team. I know there is no crying in baseball, but this is not like that. I did not cry when they lost game 7 in 2003, but I did cry with joy when the won the big dance in 2004. So if I shed a few tears over Johnny Damon, and the love we once shared, so be it. It is now over, he is gone, and I can now finally move on. I can begin to embrace the new faces on the Red Sox roster, and start my tumultuous relationships with them. If this is just part of the ride I will take it, and enjoy every stinking second of the emotion rollercoaster I call being a Red Sox fan.

5 comments:

big kahuna said...

4 of 5 should not be too concerned about that small outbreak of emotion, they say the older you get the more you get like your mother and I know someone who also cries for no apperant reason....... coincendance.... I don't think so.....

number4of5 said...

Thin ice...very thin ice...

Numero Uno said...

I saw this post and thought for sure teh big kahuna was going to be temporarily suspended from the blog!!!!

number4of5 said...

I think based on the comments people have made to me(in person)about his comment, you are not the only one to think this.

Again...he is walking the line.

momduke said...

Damon's a loser...an idiot too....we are better off though little we knew... that the new guys are great... working hard on the field...bunting, stealing, hitting left and to right.. making the game a wonderful sight. Johnny chose the place he wanted to play ...he had a chance in great Fenway. He's gone and it's over...and Mirabelli won... the cheers were for him..Johnny is done.