Tuesday, June 27, 2006

When it rains, it pours

A group of us spent all day Friday at Busch Gardens Williamsburg to celebrate Dave's 30th Birthday. For weeks he had been talking about how much he wanted to ride roller coasters. I am not really a roller coaster person. I am deathly afraid of heights, and have been known to get sick riding in the backseat of a car. For real, a few weeks ago I got motion sick, a block from our house, because the front window in Dave's car was too dirty and I couldn't see out of it. I am not exactly the ideal candidate to spend the day at the amusement park with. However, I knew that I needed to suck it up for Dave and downed the little white happy pill that never leaves my side. You might know this as Dramamine.

As soon as we got to the park, Dave led us straight to the Loch Ness Monster. I convinced myself that I would be OK because I had been on this ride before. Granted that was fifteen years ago, but I told myself I could do it...I didn't die that time, chances are I wouldn't die this time. Right? As we climbed to the top of the first drop I looked over at Captain Roller Coaster Pants and had a flashback to my youth. I was in the same seat, on the same roller coaster, looking at my older brother and thinking "What the fuck am I doing on this ride?" My eyes were closed, my palms were sweaty and clenched to the handles, and my brain, while being tossed around inside my head, counted the nanoseconds until it was over. Well, I lived...barely. I had just placed my feet on the ground, and I was already being dragged to the second coaster.

Well to make a really long story short, (TOO LATE!) a storm system came in and they had to shut down all the rides. We ran through pouring rain and gigantic puddles to reach the beer hall, where well, you guessed it...they had lots of beer. Since I was all cracked up on the Dramamine I wasn't able to drink, but I was able to spend the next four hours watching my friends toss back some pints. Oh, and wrap myself in a plastic garbage bag to keep dry. We were convinced that the rides would open up again and Dave's birthday dreams would be fulfilled.

Our waiting paid off, the rain let up, and it was back on the roller coaster circuit. Now I am not sure if it was all the waiting, or the excitement Dave was exuding, or the extra Dramamine that I downed, or my shear joy in not having to watch my friends drink anymore, but I actually started to enjoy the roller coasters. There were no lines, since every rational person left during the storm, so we just kept getting back in line, over and over and over and over again.

They take those pictures of you during a strategic point the ride to capture your expression. At the beginning of the day, in every photo I looked like I was being tortured by newts in a den of mind numbing evil. By the end of the day....

img026
...it was a different story.

Just remember...I was only doing this for Dave. I sacrificed my well being so that he could enjoy his birthday. I hope he appreciates it.

6 comments:

she's so blase said...

That's LOVE!! Look at you sucking it up for your betrothed, and so convincingly too!!

Pop Princess said...

See if you just try it, over and over, you eventually might like it. Kind of like pepperoni!

numero uno said...

Glad to hear you made it out alive - and glad to see the picture at the end of the story.... for a minute there I thought you were at a Ronnie James Dio concert.....

Houseboy - hope you had a happy day!

MCat - the bachelorette party will not be at 6 Flags...don't think either of your sisters can step up to the plate like that :)

number4of5 said...

SSB...sucking up? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Pop p...I forgot about the pepperoni! And the papaya punch. Man, we are old now.

numero uno...I am not ashamed to admit that I had to Google Ronnie James Rio, but you should be ashamed that you knew who they were. The picture on their website frightens me.

NTS said...

Who isn't a fan of Ronny James Dio? Rainbow in the Dark? Holy Diver? I mean, the guy used a sword to slay a big fake dragon on stage during his concerts... that, my friend, is what 80's metal is all about.

LITES said...

aah, my master plan to pull you all over to the darkside of 80's metal is working like a charm.