Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ain't that America, something to see baby

Long story short, I drove out to Indiana on Sunday and just drove back today. My butt is killing me. The small town that we stayed in, the hometown of a close friend, was quite nice. They have some very cool modern architecture (not kidding) and you can tell that the town has some money floating around. It has been a long time since I have driven through the Midwest, or taken any highways that are not on a coast. It is easy to forget how different most of the U.S. is from where I live now and where I grew up. Driving back today I felt like a foreigner in my own country. Rich/poor, Red State/Blue State, Urban/Rural...whatever you want to call it, this country is divided. I have been lucky enough to see a huge chunk of America, and have lived all over, so I know that there are major regional differences everywhere you travel in this great land. But for the most part, money and education are a huge part of that divide. It is easy to look at some of the struggling nations of the world, those that may be struck by famine or war, and say "Gosh, I am really lucky to have been born in America." But for me, I must also add how lucky I am to have been born where I was in the U.S. Don't get me wrong, I think there are numerous places in this country that would be a great places to raise a family. However, I would not wish upon my worst enemy to be from some of the places that we passed through today. One horse towns, in the mountains, where the center of culture is the gas station/convenience store/fast food place. I ain't sayin' that West Virginia is the Sudan, but growing up there cannot be a picnic

We took the southern route today because I had never been to Kentucky. I really just wanted to add another state to my tally. Since I think it is wicked cool, and Dave wanted to see it again, I give you my states visited map. I'm glad that they marked down that Alaska is not to scale?!? Like we couldn't tell.



create your own visited states map
Thirteen more to go...

2 comments:

darprice said...

How can you have not made it to MI yet? What, with all the lakes, it oughta feel just like being on a coast (seriously, check out Lake Michigan from Chicago, or any where along that coast of Wisconsin or Michigan). How many have just "been passed through" and not really explored? Even so, still better than me...

number4of5 said...

Michigan is high up on my hit list, it does seem much nicer than Kansas. I have lived in Mass, Maine, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia, so most, I am happy to say, are explored states. Kentucky, Ohio, and Arkansas have just been "drive throughs". New England, all of the Southwest, and the Carolinas are my favorites, but I can't wait to get to the Northwest and Alaska!

Perhaps I should start my own rankings...I have joked about writing my own guide books...wouldn't that be hysterical!