Thursday, July 06, 2006

Where everybody knows your name

Some days it feels like my life is a constant push/pull of wanting to move home and being comfortable where I am. After spending a very nice long, relaxing weekend in Boston full of parades, cookouts, kids, and my sister's brilliant movie references I can see myself there. I can see Dave and I moving and being very happy. Spending more time with my family, my nieces, watching Sox games on local cable, driving to the beach whenever I want to, all seems like a lovely dream. But then I come back to DC, to the neighborhood that I love, the friends that have been so good to me, the haunts where I can name all the faces on both sides of the bar, and the familiarity that has become my day to day life and I just don't know. In Boston, all my friends are gone, they have moved all over the country. My friends are here, my life is here, everything I have known for the last five years is here. I can walk down the street at any given time and run into five different people that I know. I don't have that network, that safety net, in Boston. So I am going to find a way to combine the two. It may involve moving vast expanses of land, hell Maryland and Jersey are easily expendable, but I am going to do it. I will find a way.

5 comments:

Houseboy said...

Just make sure it doesn't involve driving through Connecticut regularly.

number4of5 said...

OK, Connecticut goes too then. That leaves us with Delaware, NYC and Rhode Island.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Houseboy said...

Can we live in the Roy Rogers at the Maryland House on I-95?

number4of5 said...

Only if you continue to open those nasty doors for me. That place is so dirty.

momduke5 said...

Waht is a safety net? Is it not the place where you are the happiest and feel the very best? Moving only means making new friends back in the Red Sox Nation and keeping in touch with all the friends you have in all those nooks and crannies of your present environment. Whatever you choose it will be right for you.You have moved more than all the rest and know how you felt in an unknown territory. New England is not unknown and Va and D.C. are common ground....but...

If houseboy is up for it I would love you to move home.