Sunday, October 08, 2006

Empire Falls

Has anyone seen those Major League Baseball commercials for the playoffs? Tommy LaSorda goes around consoling people whose teams didn't make into the postseason. In one commercial he is in a dorm, and a female Red Sox fan has locked herself in the bathroom, and won't come out, because she is so upset about the miserable failure that is the 2006 Red Sox season. Tommy is trying to tell her it is OK, and seeks support from the other women in the hallway. One woman shrugs her shoulders and says "I'm from NY." Tommy immediately turns toward the bathroom, and says "October is about rooting against the Yankees" and the women comes out of the bathroom. That moment where she realizes that things are always better when the Yankees fail, that is how I feel right now. I can't say I am happy about this season. I stopped talking about it a while ago because it brought me too much angst to do so. But I can say that I feel better that the Yankees have blown it in the postseason for the sixth year in a row. Not good, but better.

It was painfully obvious this week that some former Red Sox players have brought their teams to the playoffs this year. Red Sox from the 2003, or 2004 season who are kicking ass in other places around the league. So I have compiled a list for you. All of these fine men were with the Red Sox in either 2003, or 2004, both years that they had amazing seasons.
San Diego Padres:
Alan Embree
Scott Williamson
Todd Walker
Dave Roberts
Mark Bellhorn

LA Dodgers
Derek Lowe
Nomar Garciaparra
Bill Mueller, I really miss Billy
Grady Little, not a player, just an all around waist of space

NY Mets
Pedro Martinez, He is hurt now, but he had a great season

NY Yankees
Some player whose name I can't bring myself to type.

This season sucked. August was particularly hard. I just wonder what it would have been like had we not let some of these people go. Not included in this list are Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez, who may have been part of the worst Red Sox trade in history. Let's see, Hanley scored 119 runs this year, while stealing 51 bases, and being a leading contender for NL Rookie of the Year. Anibal's record of 10-3 with only 18 starts this year ain't too shabby. When you consider that he has a 2.83 ERA, a 3-2 strike out to walk average, won NL Rookie of the month for September, and pitched a no-no this season, I think we could have used him. This deal may go down in Red Sox history as worse than the Bagwell trade.

I could go on, but I need to stop for the sake of my sanity. 2004 does feel like a dream. Only two seasons later and I am back to cursing my beloved boys. The new owners brought in so much hope and joy, only to tear it apart in a matter of a baseball minute.

But at least the Yankees lost.

3 comments:

darprice said...

You can always join the Tiger bandwagon... ;)

number4of5 said...

I think the Tigers should be everyone's favorite at this point. How can you not cheer for a team that lost one hundred something games 2 years ago?

Plus the beat the Yankees.

momduke5 said...

I think it is great that Detroit is going to have a chance at the title.People in that area need a boost since GM & FORD are taking business out of the state of Michigan to places far away. GO TIGERS!!!!! & if the RED SOX really wanted it they wld have been in the playoffs...shame on them.