Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hope?

A few months ago I wrote a post detailing my concern for the sad state of the national mall. Well it looks as if the National Park Service also believes that there needs to be something else on the mall besides vacant dirt patches. They have launched a site called the National Mall Plan, which lacks much information at the moment. According to an article in the Washington Post, the Feds are looking for our input, and we can leave our suggestions on the Park Services web site. My excitement upon first reading this has waned into caution. I would love to see better open spaces on the mall, and I would love to see the Park Service succeed in this endeavor. However, this will take massive amounts of cash, which hasn't always been flowing towards our National Parks. I am worried that corporate donors will step in, and we will start to see things like the "New Martin Luther King Memorial by Target." Or, the ever popular "Home Depot Gardens." If the scandal with the Smithsonian and Showtime has taught us anything, it is that our federal property should remain in the hands of every American, not corporate America. I know that seeing our Federal Government pony up for a project as large and important as this will cause some people's temperatures to rise, but it needs to happen. Hell, if we can finance a giant six billion dollar wall, we have the money for this. The Mall is important. It is our backyard, our frontyard, our museum space, our open space, and our memorial space. It should be nurtured. I really want this to work.

No comments: