Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I said it once before but it bears repeating

I love voting. Every time I go to vote, and step inside the polling place, I get a little verklempt. Call me lame, call me over emotional, call me late for dinner, I don't care. Voting causes me to consider my time and place in this world, and that is a good thing. There are no men with guns intimidating my vote, no clause saying that my grandfather had to be a registered voter, nowhere am I required to pass a literacy test, and I don't even need a penis to be able to cast a ballot. People have fought for my rights, and I enjoy taking advantage of them. I feel lucky.

Never has my vote mattered more than this year, where in Virginia the Senate race is down to a difference of 7,000 votes. That's it. 7,000. There are more people in my small little neighborhood then there is a difference in votes. Those 7,000 votes will probably also decide the balance of power for the entire U.S. Senate. I am used to my vote not mattering so much. In the last two Presidential elections, the states that I voted in, Massachusetts and Virginia, were so strongly leaning in one direction that my vote did not sway anything. This year is different. I like to think that I am one of those 7,000 votes. In fact, I am sure that my ballot is not with the other 1.2 million votes for my candidate (And it should be a surprise to no one who I voted for). My vote is in that 7,000 pile. Essentially, after all this counting and recounting, I will be the one deciding whether the Democrats take over the Senate. Me. Well, me and 6,999 of my friends that voted for Jim Webb, but still. I am important. See how cool voting is!! We really are lucky. Especially lucky that I voted. You can thank me later.

5 comments:

Houseboy said...

and you can thank me when "Libertarian Party" finally wins an election - or fields a candidate.

lites5150 said...

do I have to consider my vote wasted since I wrote in Joe Walsh?

carolyn said...

i got all choked up at at the polling place as well... we're dorks. :)

momduke said...

Contratulations Meg...You really learned something from going voting with us. Of the 1403 voters in the precint in which I work only 771 voted. Where were the other 632? Good job !!!

NTS said...

The most important right that we have is our right to party. And you can't vote for it, you have to fight for it.

It's worth fighting for.