Friday, December 15, 2006

The Boy in the Box

I was going to write y'all a nice little story about my night. There are even pictures. But then I came home, and made some "It's not delivery it's Digiorno," and started watching Jay Leno, and realized that I would not be able to write to you about the silly things that happened in my life today. Because Jay Leno is a moron. I know I have been slightly belligerent about the whole map thing lately, but sometimes enough is enough. Mr. Leno, was chatting with Leonardo DiCaprio tonight about his new movie which was filmed in Africa. While they were conducting the typical banter about Africa...poverty...aids...wildlife...like it is a zoo...Jay Leno mentioned that he has a friend from Rhodesia. Rhodesia. Yes, Rhodesia. Well Jay, it might be hard to have a friend from Rhodesia, b/c Rhodesia doesn't exist. Rhodesia was once a colony, run by the British, named after Cecil Rhodes. Cecil was a great chap who started DeBeers, and ran a large colony, and tried to build a railroad across the continent that is the five times the size of the U.S., which basically just means that he was responsible for a lot of pain and suffering for a lot of Africans. Rhodesia. Rhodesia is actually now Zimbabwe and part of Zambia, but we don't learn those things in school. Instead we have Jay Leno on the television every night showing the world how dumb we are when it comes to anything that happens outside the U.S. This would be like me going on National television tonight and telling the entire country that I am from this great place in the world, you should check it out, they call it the Thirteen Colonies. After that you should check out Germania. That place is awesome too. I also heard that The Holy Roman Empire is a great place to visit this time of year. I know that the Tonight Show is not history class, and these things may not be important in our day to day lives, but they are important to me. Perhaps it was a slip of the tongue. Perhaps he knows better. Perhaps I am making a huge deal out of nothing. But this stuff matters. Maybe not to Jay, or to Leo, or to most people, but it matters.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meaghan, just for my amusement,given your rant, Zimbabwe is most definately NOT part of Zambia - it happens to be next to Zambia, but is an independent (badly run)dictatorship. Regards, Adam

Anonymous said...

Try decaff next time......

number4of5 said...

Adam...in no way was I saying that those two countries were one. The colony that was Rhodesia was geographically in what is now Zimbabwe AND Zambia.

anon...thank you for your comment. It ispired an excellent conversation with my friend Lis about the nature of hateful anonymous comments. We decided that it is like someone walking up to you on the street with a ski mask and trying to punch you in the gut and then running away. Major wimp (my clean blog appropriate word) move. I enjoy comments, who doesn't really? Especially when they are as enlightening and thought provoking as yours was.

carolyn said...

and isn't it ironic considering that one of leno's standard "man on the street" things is going out with a microphone and trying to show how stupid people are for not knowing things about geography, science, etc.

hello stupid, meet yourself.

he's such an ass. i find letterman so much funnier.

AGR said...

I just wanted to point out that that anonymous comment was not me, although the one you assumed was me last time was me.

number4of5 said...

Carolyn...Letterman is funnier, but Conan is the funniest. I can't wait until he takes over.

Ann...you are cool, I know when it is you. I wouldn't have gone off like that if I thought it was you!

Shirley said...

Let's get it straight once and for all - firstly, congrats to Jay Leno for having a Rhodesian friend - there aren't many of us left and yes, we are Rhodesians = not Zimbabweans. If we were the latter, we would be over 26 years younger - I wish! To be younger, but certainly not Zimbabwean thank you. FYI there is a very good and comprehensive site by the name of
Rhodesians Worldwide, just to prove my point.
Secondly - we - Rhodesia or Zambia - were NEVER one. The closest we ever got together was being part of the now defunct Central African Federation comprising of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) and Nyasaland (Malawi). And I thought the Brits were bad at geography ..............!