Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wicked Proud

My older brother Bill (Billy to his sisters who will never stop calling him by the name he grew up with) is one of the most talented people I know. Dude can fix anything he puts his hands on. He is currently working on completely remodeling his kitchen. When I say completely remodeling, I mean totally gutting the room down to the wooden frame and putting it back together. Himself. The last time I was home he was redoing his electrical wiring. My brother is not an electrician, but has taught himself how the wiring should work. This was after he moved the window over six inches, and before he built a new bathroom. I consider myself a very handy person, but he takes handy to a realm that I am not worthy of even imagining. The handiness does not stop at the front door, he can also fix the crap out of a car. During college my car broke down, wouldn't start, and I had no idea what was wrong with it. I called my brother, and he directed me to test a few things under the hood. After ten minutes of examination, and telephone consultation, he informed me that my fuel pump was shot. He told me to get it to the station, and tell them I needed a new one. He even told me how much it should cost. I did as he directed, and the mechanic looked at my twenty-one-year-old-female-self and shook his head. He informed me that he was going to have to check it out, and it could be this, or it could be that, so I will call you and let you know. When the phone rang, he sheepishly told me that I did need a new fuel pump. Ha! I thought, how dare he question my brother.

The point of all this is, that Bill has been working on rebuilding his friend's old Pontiac for years. I mean rebuilding as in new engine rebuilding. It is a 1973 LeMans that belonged to his friend's grandfather and now looks pimp. After all of their hard work they were featured in a magazine devoted to Pontiacs. So cool. I am wicked proud of him.

4 comments:

carolyn said...

does he ever come to chicago? and fix lonely girl's bathrooms? for free beer?

she's so blase said...

add bachelorette party host/chaffeur extraordinaire to his list of incredible and diverse talents, cause in parts of the state he's known as Bill the Van Man.

stuck in the middle said...

Well thank you for the kind words, i just hope my kitchen comes out the same way I picture it in my mind. Thanks Meggie he he thought i would throw that in.

P.S. I hope you have wash all that bird crap off you car, I have told you what it does to the paint

Brad said...

Really like it