Friday, March 23, 2007

30 is all about bed ruffles

Us


In the summer of 1996, oh almost eleven years ago now (ahh!), I lived in Albuquerque with two of my closest friends. We were 19 at the time, so none of us had serious jobs or any major commitments. We spent our time driving around the southwest in Ilana's beat up old Pontiac named Vadar. We went to the Grand Canyon, Four Corners, Santa Fe, Carlsbad Caverns, and The International U.F.O. Museum in Roswell. We went to the H.O.R.D.E. fest and watched Lenny Kravitz's braids whip around in a storm, in the desert outside of Las Cruces, while he opened up for Dave Matthews. And there was nothing bigger than Dave Matthews to us that summer. I think we burned a hole in our tape (yes tape) of Crash, we listened to it so many times. We even had choreographed dance moves. Remember those days when Dave Matthews was good? We each had small jobs that paid for gas and food money. We also spent a lot of time being silly, which is real easy to do when you are 19...or say 30. As you can tell from the picture cut off jean shorts were also really big that year. Apparently so were round metal sunglasses. Hot.

That summer was my first real taste of travelling on my own, and that is clearly something that is still very important to me. My friendships with these two women, and the memories that we created, are even more important. I received a wedding gift from them in the mail yesterday, and the message they sent made me laugh hysterically. For several minutes. We are now scattered about the country, Ilana back in Massachusetts, and Ann in California, and even though I don't talk to them as often they still are very close to me. If you asked me back in 1996 how I thought my life would turn out, I would not have been able to answer you. I would however, been able to tell you that Ilana and Ann would still be in my life, and I am so happy that they are. I can't believe that I am getting married in less than a month, I am so excited, and so happy that my girls will be there to celebrate with me. (Yes, I am crying right now, this type of crap will get me) There are more pics of us being goofy over on flickr if you can tolerate them.

Also my photo friday entry for sentimental.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Ah, actually, 30 is all about Bed Skirts.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget those Wilderness Mountains!