Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I heart the Rem Dog

I often hear people say that baseball is a boring sport. This is clearly something I do not understand, nor something I feel like delving too deeply into at this time of night. It is a game of strategy, there are dozens of things going on before each pitch, understanding all of those things brings a greater appreciation of the game, and greater enjoyment of the sport.

Baseball announcers play such a huge role in bringing that greater appreciation of the game to the average Joe (or Johnny Burger King if you will). I grew up watching Bob Montgomery and Sean McDonough on TV-38, and was totally spoiled. These two men are responsible for my early teenage love of the Boston Red Sox.

I have been sitting on my couch for the last few hours watching the Sox take down the Orioles, and I cannot believe how rookie ball, J-V, pathetic the Orioles coverage is. I feel like I was listening to some single A team announcers from Wichita, cover a game in the early 1980's. The sound is dull, the commentary is boring and flat, and it makes me want to throw something at the TV. The O's are broadcast on MASN, which also owns the Nationals coverage (another irritating subject I don't want to get into right now). So, one team owns almost all of the coverage for two major league baseball teams, and produces a show that could have been made in my high school TV production class. I am not the least bit kidding when I tell you that during the post game show one of the commentators lifted up a hand made chart, placed it over his microphone so the sound was muffled, and without explaining the chart stated, "This green area shows where things went wrong." ???? I feel that I have a pretty firm grasp of the game of baseball, and I have no idea what in tarnation that clown was talking about. At the end of the show, they put up a digital list of all the things the Orioles needed to do to improve this week. My first thought was get rid of Peter Angelos, but they had a few other things in mind. The first item was something about improving he bullpen, this was the only solid commentary. The second item was, again I am not joking "Sock it to the Sox." What?? Is this Major League Baseball, or my junior high school softball team? The last item, and my personal favorite, "Win this home stand." I am so frustrated. Where is the analysis? Where is the detailed explanation of what went right, or wrong? What are the young teenage girls in Baltimore learning about the game? Where is my Rem Dog?

3 comments:

Stuck in the middle said...

Just another reason why being a New Englander makes us superior to all other places in the world. By the way have you seen the Rem Dogs and D.O. bobble head set while sitting at their desk??

she's so blase said...

not to mention the fact that those Baltimore yahoos dared to call into question the character of one of your own beloved sox players...
http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/april/26-schillings_bloody_sock_called_into_question.html

Number 4 of 5 said...

Bill...I have not seen the bobbleheads, do you have them?

Thanks SSB!