Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My baby is growing up

This blog turned two last week, so I thought I would get her a celebration present and clean her up a bit. She really wanted a pink princess phone, but she must learn early in life that you can't always get what you want. As you will notice there are some changes around these parts...new colors, a cleaned up sidebar, funny commentary (oh wait, that's not new).

I really cannot believe that I have been blogging for two years. When I started this experiment I had no idea what I was getting myself into. There were many questions...What would I write about? Who would read it? What is an over share? Do I really want to post that picture on the internet? Are people that I don't want to find this going to find it? How the heck do I change my code?...but I have answered them, gradually. I have even changed the answers around a bit from time to time.

What I wasn't expecting was how much I was going to love this. I have a lot of fun here. The best part for me is the dialogue, and the interaction of it all. Many of you have really taken to this, and you have no idea how much I love that you have. I love the comments, but even when you are not commenting I know that you read it. During my wedding weekend I was introducing my friends and family by their blog comment names. How ridiculous is that? There has been so many times where someone has quoted me to me, or I get a phone call or email about a post, it is such an awesome feeling. My family has really latched on to this in a way that I never thought they would, or really only hoped they would. My first real post described how I was looking for that, or how I was trying to create that. I had no idea it would be this successful. If I could count the times that someone in my family asked me if what they were doing was blog worthy I would be a wealthy woman.

Blogging has also given me an outlet for my photography that was drastically missing from my life. Blogging got me into flickr, digital photography, and exposing my work to a wider audience. It even spawned another blog specifically for photos...that is not dead in the water just yet. There are some interesting ideas I have been floating around recently, the product of which I hope to share with you soon. It is amazing how much has changed in two years.

I tried going through some of the old posts and finding my favorites, but there are too many that I enjoy for me to go down that road. I did find a comment, that I won't necessarily call my favorite, but I do believe was highly under appreciated when it was written. It was a comment by my sister Jenn who was pregnant at the time, I highly recommend reading it. I would love to hear from you regulars about what some of your favorite posts, or comments, have been.

I have many friends who blog now, which adds a whole new, very fun level to this process. It is great to be on the other side, and see the way people you know interpret things. Plus, my friends are hysterical.

So here we go, the beginning of year three. As I am writing this I am appreciating how much blogging means to me, and how much I enjoy it. I know that sounds a little hokey, but I do this for me, so it shouldn't be shocking that I love it. My biggest cheerleader in this whole process has definitely been Dave, I mean, my husband. Aside from giving me such great material to write about, he knows not to bug me when I am blogging. He is also usually the first to read it, and always gives the appropriate response to posts. When I first told him that the blog was two years old, he not only was as shocked as I was, but got really excited and suggested that we should celebrate. I'm lucky. So yes, we shall celebrate.

4 comments:

beamer said...

happy anniversary! i completely know what you mean. blogging is generous, self-indulgent, fun, sometimes stressful, relieving, creative, and ultimately fulfilling if done right. i think you're doing it pretty right.

numero uno said...

Wow - year 3 - time flies when you are having fun....I have to tell you last night I checked out your blog while you were making some of the changes...the new post was not up - but the colors had changed.... I was convinced my laptop was on the fritz....

Some of my favorite Number4of5 moments (besides all of the beautiful pictures) have been:
Meatman
R. Kelly's Trapped in the closet
Use of the word Assclown
....and most importantly...are you blog-worthy?

Thanks for all of the laughs!

Houseboy said...

Yay Meatman! (favorite moment = that you were able to score 98 on the countries of the world map game)

Number 4 of 5 said...

Thanks Bea! It is a fun ride.

Numero uno...man, you went deep for those! ahhh, Meatman, my alter ego/super hero personality saving people from becoming vegatarians around the globe.
Thanks for sticking around for so long!

houseboy...interesting choice. I love how you embrace my neurotic side.