Monday, July 23, 2007

I won't spoil anything

I finished Harry Potter very late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, but don't worry I am not going to write about it. I am dying to talk about it with more people, so let me know when you are done and we can chat.

The last time Harry Potter came out I couldn't wait until the next day to get my copy, so I swept into the bookstore at about 12:30 after the lines had died down and grabbed one. This time, I wanted to get there a little early and soak up the festivities. Dave and I rolled in at about 11:30 to become number 237 in line. Too bad it was the line for people who hadn't pre-ordered. The problem was that there were over 600 people there who had pre-ordered. Yikes. We hung out, and waited, and waited, and waited. It was fun though, many people were dressed up and were as excited as me to get their copies. It was a fun celebration, but we didn't get out of there until 1:30.

While we were in line, She's So Blase and Numero Uno called me, and sent me photos of the copies they bought in the grocery store. Geniuses those girls. I was tempted to do the same thing myself, but after an hour of waiting in line I felt like I had already committed. I also talked to Clarkson, because she was having some major drama of her own that night. You can read about it over on her blog.

The best part of waiting so long in line was that I think someone cast a spell on Dave. We came home, and for the first time ever, he wanted to read Harry Potter. I have been trying to get him to read it since I have known him, it had to have been some sort of charm. For Christmas, after we first started dating, I bought him a copy of The Sorcerer's Stone. It was at that early point in our relationship where it would have been inappropriate to buy him a big gift, like a watch or something. I only wanted to get him something small, and not scare him away, so Harry Potter it was. Here we are, four and a half years later, and he is finally reading it. I knew it would come in handy one day!

Oh, man is this photo not ridiculously blogworthy?!

072107_00391

6 comments:

Numero Uno said...

Just to be clear - we bought the books at the Borders IN the mall after leaving the free standing Borders across the street from the mall....after we observed over 1000 of our closest friends standing in line waiting to buy the book. BTW - Mom let me borrow her copy of the first book.....perhaps Dave and I can start our reading club!

she's so blase said...

I think you're right - being in the presence of it all must cast some sort of spell over those non-readers. Even Numero Uno has decided to find out what it is that could possibly make all those people stand in line for so long, at such a ridiculous hour, with some even dressing up!! You know come to think of it, it's kind of like Rocky Horror Picture Show (for the younger set) - I wonder if that's what appeals to her?
My favorite comment of the night was when one of our group noted that, "It's not really that many people standing in line - it's no more than you'd see for a Red Sox game or a concert." But then I pointed out that this same crazy line was happening at virtually every bookstore, not just across the state or the country, but across the WORLD! She then had to admit that it was a little bit of a big deal.

Number 4 of 5 said...

Numero Uno...The grocery store make for a much better story, you should stick with that one :)
Dave is totally down with the reading club...he actually thinks that the first meeting should be in Vegas...you know, good plane reading time ;)

SSB...It is sad that it has taken her this long to convert...especially since she likes the RHPS...I mean really, the Time Warp or Hogwarts? How is that even a contest?
It is hard for me to think about anything being bigger than the Red Sox, so I can't respond to the last part...but I know what you mean.

beamer said...

You've been meme'd!

Check here to get the rules/story/figure out how to waste time filling out your next post: http://thebea.blogspot.com/2007/07/just-cant-wash-off-that-meme.html

carolyn said...

you were dating already when the first HP came out. good lord girl you two have been together FOREVER already!!! :)

Dan Vera said...

I have yet to start. I'm borrowing a copy from a friend who, now that I think about it, should be done reading it!
I'm sorry to have missed the festivities this time around. I was at Politics & Prose for their HUGE party for the last book. Pretty fun to be with so many folks in the same mood of anticipation. And SO MANY KIDS!!

I'm looking forward to it. Sounds like you enjoyed the book.