Wednesday, October 17, 2007

One down, twenty-four to go

I finished my first class tonight, and the program is still as exciting as it was way back in the beginning...you know, a month ago. I have learned so much in these past few weeks about my camera, and shooting, and using the computer to make my life easier. I think the biggest lessons though have been completely internal. In the middle of a shoot last week I was having a really hard time with my camera, and wanted to launch the stupid thing across the room. After I had a moment with myself, I was able to make the adjustments I needed and get some great shots. Accepting the fact that I am way too much of a perfectionist, and allowing myself to make some mistakes is not an easy thing to do, but I am trying.

I also learned that being a female photographer has may upsides. Yes, sometimes crazy people want to throw things at you, but that isn't always the case. Being a woman gives me the advantage of not automatically thought of as a creep. Think about it, man on the street asking to take your photo for a class=sketch city. A woman doing the same thing is so much less threatening. I can shoot women, men, and people with children and there is no initial assumption that I have bad intentions. Score one for the ladies.

1 comment:

Lis said...

That's interesting, and so true that a female photographer is less threatening. You can take my picture any time! No seriously, please take my picture. I want to be photographed by you before you become Annie Lebowitz.