Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The story that my future offspring will one day be tired of hearing

Did anyone ever read "All Summer In A Day" by Ray Bradbury? You can read about it in more detail on wikipedia, but I can give you the version I remember. Basically, at some point in the future, when people live on another planet, they rarely ever get to see the sun. It is always raining, and the sun only comes around every seven years, and when it does come out, it stays for mere minutes. The story follows a little girl, who along with all the other kids at school is very excited to see then sun. They are anticipating it for weeks, and the teachers are going to bring them outside to play when it finally happens. All the kids are super pumped, they have never seen the sun before, it is going to be bigger than Elvis. When the big day finally comes, and everyone can't believe how unbelievable awesome seeing the sun is going to be, the other kids lock the main girl in a cabinet. In the cabinet! They all go outside and play, but she misses it! Awful right? This story haunted me for years. I couldn't think about that girl without feeling unbelievably sad. Just think about having to listen to the other kids talk about how awesome the sun was. Devastating.

I was talking to my friend Ann the other day about the Red Sox, and she mentioned that she tells people all the time about how I missed the World Series in 2004. I blogged about it before, so I won't rehash the whole thing again. I am sure you can see where I am going with this. I finally realized that while everyone I know was watching the sun, I mean the Sox winning the World Series for the first time in EIGHTY-SIX YEARS!, I was stuck in the Frankfurt airport. It was much bigger than a cabinet, but just as confining. So even though the Sox are in the Series again, and I am extremely excited, I will never be able to experience what happened three years ago. I missed it, and it ain't happening again. Not even in another seven years.

So while the rest of you Red Sox fans out there can fully enjoy what has turned into a new wave of successful teams, I am still the bitter Sox fan or yore. Whaaaaa.

No comments: