Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Don't Stop Believen'

Forgive me, I listened to Journey on the way home tonight. I have had an amazing day. Amazing as in, holy crap, I hope I remember this feeling for a long time. We had our creative workshop tonight, you know the one I blogged about the other day. And let's just say that if I could have scripted how this would go, I wouldn't have thought of how it really happened. I selected two pictures, which was very difficult for me. I wanted two pictures that were very different. When the whole thing started I felt like I was going to vomit. I was wicked nervous. We scrolled through every one's images as a slide show, rated them, then went back to talk about them individually. The first image of mine was one I took this past weekend (this is where I should link to it, I'll get to that later). When he started to talk about the image he said that there was so much that we could talk about. He mentioned the depth of field, and how the background was slightly out of focus. He mentioned that it looked like it told a story. He said that the composition was strong, it captured a moment, and the light and texture were great. Then he went on to say, and I quote, "It captured a sense of humanity." Hello? Please, when I die, write on my tombstone that for one picture Joe National Geographic photographer said that I captured a sense of humanity. (And since my sister's are so demanding, here is the first shot)

GAY_071110_2542

We moved on, and started selecting photos from the group to talk about. Students kept selecting images, and we discussed all sorts of photography related issues. Then the moment happened. That moment. You know that moment. That moment so great that I had to write it down. Joe National Geographic pointed to my second image, mine, and said, "I'm dying to talk about this one." Pinch me. Stab me. Something, anything, is this happening? He said all sorts of groovy stuff about it. He used words like exotic, solemn, and ambiguous. And he used them in a good way. Now, I know he is just one person, but he wasn't talking about every one's pictures this way. He had some tough love for people. For me, the best part is that someone with a really great eye had great things to say about my work. I love you people, you know that. You often have awesome things to say about my pictures, and I appreciate that. But it is the first time that someone at this level of expertise has critiqued my work. And it was grand slam. I am floating. It was a good day.

And here is the second.
The Wall of El Morro

7 comments:

Numero Uno said...

Dude - you are killing me...... SHOW ME THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numbah 2 said...

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS? Maybe we could come up with some big words to comment about your pictures too if you would at least SHOW THEM TO US!

Kathy said...

Were you named the MVP? Most Valuable Photographer? Congratulations kid ...always knew you could do it....but what is the 2nd picture?

carolyn said...

dude. what an awesomely satisfying workshop. :) a great day at school! I myself love the first photo more than the second but the second is more something i would take as my photos rarely have people in them (my "real" photos anyway. snapshots of my nephew? sure there's a person in that one).

Lis said...

So, this is kind of off topic but that first picture looks like the auditorium of my middle school. It totally is, isn't it? I was so part of the sound and light crew, it's true.

pop princess said...

You rock!

beamer said...

congratulations. i'm extremely happy for you. very badass.