Thursday, November 15, 2007

Edelweiss

I have spent the last several Thanksgivings with Dave's family, and every year we do the same thing. Dinner, drink, clean. It is fun, but is your fairly average run of the mill turkey day. Last year, in the middle of dinner, and after several bottles of champagne were passed around, we started talking about what we could do to spice Thanksgiving up a little bit. I don't remember exactly how it came about, but we started talking about traveling, and how wouldn't it be so great if we went to Vienna for Thanksgiving. Oh yeah, we said, waist deep in the bubbly, that would be grand. We could get an apartment, avoid the tourist crowds, and enjoy the city. Oh yes, we said, that would be great. Vienna is so pretty, we could go to the Opera, and oh the shopping, Vienna has the best department stores...la, la, la, drunken dreaming. You know how that goes. Then I glanced across the table and got that look from Dave, that look I know so well. It was the same look he gave me many years ago when we were daydreaming about quitting our jobs and traveling abroad. It was that same look he gave me when I told him I wanted to change career paths and become a photographer. I know that look because sometimes it is like staring in the mirror. It is the hey, this might be crazy, but we can make it happen look. I love that look.

So we are leaving tomorrow. A week long Viennese adventure with the family. I found an apartment in the city center that will fit the whole clan. Luckily his family is small, unlike the football team I have back in Boston. We have a direct flight, major score. We have a fireplace. It is going to be snowing. The Christmas markets open next week. It still might be really crazy, but we are doing it anyway.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I'll be back in a week.

2 comments:

Clarkson said...

I'm not going to lie. As excited for you as I am about your trip, my favorite part about this post is the title.

carolyn said...

I am totally impressed by the both of you. Love that you saw the look and knew you two were going to make it happen. Great idea! Have fun!!!! :)